Thursday, November 23, 2006

The Impending Lawsuits, part 2

I've got a bit to add to my previous post entitled "The Impending Lawsuits."

I received a comment from one of my tutor group leaders in the journal I was writing for our class on the phycian's role in dealing with individual patients and soceity as a whole (yes, a journal... yes, a touchy-feely class... no, I haven't gotten anything out of it).

I wrote in that journal about getting sued, since apparently that has been on my mind lately, and he responded:

"Most doctors go through their entire career without getting sued once."

As well, in Canada, doctors are legally represented by the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) which provides legal services for physicians who are being sued.

A doctor whom I spoke with told me:

"the lawyers provided by the CMPA are outstanding. However, while this is good for physicians, sometimes it gets to a point where it puts patients at a disadvantage; I've seen patients who have had legitimate cases, but couldn't afford lawyers at the same calibre of the CMPA's, and therefore weren't able to successfully defend their case."


No comments: